Monday, March 15, 2010

What's cookin this week?

This weekend the meal planning and preparation for the week just went out the window, because I couldn't resist spending time with my family instead of cookin for the week on a beautiful day! As I told you last night, I managed to open up one of my favorite cookbooks "Barefoot in Paris" by Ian Garten and find a quick and easy meal for tonight. As for the rest of the week I will just have to improvise.

So far the results are in and they gave it a five star as in "MOM, add to the make it again list"!!!! I don't always get a thumbs up, but because it was a hit with my family, I am sharing the recipe with you all, to share with your family! It's quick and easy, made ahead and reheated, which is the way our meals have to be when you have a house of teenagers on the go!






Lentil Sausage Soup

by Ina Garten, from her book "Barefoot in Paris"


Ingredients:
1 pound French green lentils (recommended: du Puy)
1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for serving
4 cups diced yellow onions (3 large)
4 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only (2 leeks)
1 tablespoon minced garlic (2 large cloves)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 cups medium diced celery (8 stalks)
3 cups medium diced carrots (4 to 6 carrots)
3 quarts Homemade Chicken Stock, recipe follows, or canned broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 pound kielbasa, cut in 1/2 lengthwise and sliced 1/3-inch thick
2 tablespoons dry red wine or red wine vinegar
Freshly grated Parmesan, for serving
Directions
In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain.
In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onions, leeks, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are translucent and tender. Add the celery and carrots and saute for another 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock, tomato paste, and drained lentils, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, or until the lentils are cooked through and tender. Check the seasonings. Add the kielbasa and red wine and simmer until the kielbasa is hot. Serve drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with grated Parmesan.

In addition to tonight's meal, I whipped up a Hot Citrus dressing, that I poured over fresh Spinach, with dried cranberry, walnuts, Asiago cheese and orange slices. Perfect addition to this soup and salad dinner to start are week.

Here's what was in the dressing, 6 oz Orange juice, orange rind, 1 cup brown sugar, small diced red onion, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1tsp salt, 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, 1 cup olive oil. All blended in my blender and heated on the stove until it came to slight boil. Pour over spinach and server.


Enjoy and please share your recipes with me!



2 comments:

{ L } said...

Hi there! I'm so happy you enjoyed my homemaker post and also happy you found me. :) I'm a new follower of your blog too. This recipe sounds incredible! It sounds hearty and healthy too. Thank you for sharing.

Denise said...

MMMMMMM. This sounds so good. One day you can bring me some leftovers :)